Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Breaking Out of the Shell

For pretty much my entire life I have been justly labled the shy kid. I did not mind the lable since it was true. Now I consider myself quiet but not shy. My freshman year at CSUF helped me break out of my shell a lot. My social skills were horrible and I could barrly hold a non-baseball conversation. I did not do small talk very well and had little desire to do so.
One of my roomates at Campus Crusade for Christ's Winter Conference told me that he had never seen me laugh! That surprised me to say the least. Then I realized that I'm only out of my shell for the most part when I'm hanging out with my close friends. They get to see the real Ryan who likes to have fun and crack the occasional joke. Another person at the conference told me during worship that he had never seen me clap to a song! Do people really think that I'm this boring/unenergetic/shy person? I hope not. Being quiet is not a bad thing but when people don't get to see who I really am, they probably have a perception of me that is not completely accurate.

4 comments:

Amy Grace said...

I find this really interesting. See, I am on the other end of the spectrum, being overly talkative and extroverted most of the time, and I use to think that people who were quiet or shy just didn't want to talk to me, and so I would not always try to talk to them as much. But now I am starting to see that it's not that they don't want to talk, it's just their personality type isn't as extroverted, and it's nothing against me personally. I think everyone just kind of needs to understand where the other person is coming from and not make preconceived judgements. Like, knowing that you want friends and just sometimes have trouble coming out of your shell, makes me go OHHH.. okay it makes sense if maybe sometimes he is quiet, and I can totally accept that. So that's cool that you are very honest and stuff. Geez, I hate ranting.

Jessica said...

I don't think that you're shy or unenergetic! I mean who else would sing "Look It's Christmas" with a curtain! Haha just kidding. But I guess I'm just one of those people who you said no the real Ryan who knows you crack the occassional joke, although I think you are more funny than you think but oh well! Come more out of your shell though! It's fun!

See ya Macgyver!

Mike Morabito said...

Dude, I don't think you are shy. In the small amount of time that I have known you, you have completely come out of your shell. haha It's even funny to think about, especially now that you are leading outreach each week. God is good.

In addition I seen you grow up and really become a man of God. Which is always helpful with the lady friends.

-Mike

Merrilee said...

seriously when you sang with the curtain...that was one of the best moments of my life. There's something about how you are not loud and out there all the time that makes those moments even more worth while.