Tuesday, January 2, 2007

My Birthday/The Journey Has Just Begun

Today is my 20th birthday. I would like to truly thank everyone who wished me a happy birthday over the past couple of days. Getting out of my teenage years is not sad at all. I'm looking forward to what the twenties have to bring. Usually the 20-29 year age period brings decisions that will impact the course of the rest of your life.
I was hanging out with my friend Jen recently and she asked me what my life story was. I didn't really know how to answer that. I feel that my story is almost just beggining. That's not to say that nothing interesting has happened over the last 20 years, but there is so much that I have not experienced yet. In my twenties I expect to graduate from college, get married, have kids, get a full-time job, and lots of other things. Who knows when those things are going to happen but I hope that they do.
Recently I have been worrying about my future since I'm pretty clueless about my future occupation. When I was younger I dreamed about being a professional baseball player. I loved the game so much that I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else with the rest of my life. If my life was completely mapped out by me I would have been a 1st round draft pick out of high school, played minor league ball for 3-4 years, play in the major leagues for about 20 years, be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, then retire and spend time with my family. That did not work out to say the least. After not making my high school's baseball team my freshman year I had to seriously evaluate where my life was going. I thought that since I was going to have to get a regular (non-baseball) job I might as well make as much money as possible since the whole rationale behind getting a job is to make money. I used to want to be a entreprenuer. I started reading business books and even started a subscription to an entreprenuer magazine. That aspiration died when I decided I was going to be a teacher. Murrieta Valley High School required every student to have at least 40 hours of community service. I had about 12 going into the second semester of my senior year. I thought it would be a good idea to work at an elementry school for a couple hours everyday for 5 days a week and I would be done in a few weeks. I worked in my friend Shawn's mom's 3rd grade class. I loved it! I enjoyed helping out the kids with their math and reading. I got to know some of the kids pretty well and would play sports with them during recess and lunch. I couldn't wait till I got my own classroom! Then during my first year of college that dream slowly died like the rest of them. I just lost my passion/excitement for teaching. Recently I have been mulling over the possibility of being a Campus Crusade for Christ staff person. I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction. But crusade is one of the only things that I'm truly passionate about. We will see where God leads me.

No comments: