Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Word of God

On Sunday night I was able to acquire a book from Mr. Brent "Stun 'em" Dunnam called "Knowing Scripture" by R.C. Sproul. The name looked familiar and then I relized that that was the same guy who did the commentary in DJ "The Danimal"s massive Bible that he carries around with him. I was able to read the 1st chapter and I found it pretty interesting. One section that I found especially interesting was when he talked about motivation in terms of reading The Bible.

Here is a portion of it:

"It is important to note that the theme of this book is not how to read the Bible but how to study the Bible. There is a great deal of difference between reading and studying. Reading is something we can do in a leisurely way, something that can be done strictly for entertainment in a casual, cavelier manner. But study suggests labor, serious and dillegent work.
Here then, is the real problem of our negligence. We fail in our duty to study God's Word not so much because it is difficult to understand, not so much because it is dull and boring, but because it is work. Our problem is not lack of intelligence or passion. Our problem is that we are lazy". (pg. 17).

This past semester of school I have been very lazy in terms of reading Scripture. And when I would read I usually would have more concern with how many pages I read instead of what the passage is really saying. I also usually read before I go to bed and I would almost always want to "hit the sleepies" rather than read The Bible. Why did/do I not see the importance of reading the words of the Creator of the entire Universe?
When I was finishing up the book of Matthew tonight I found that I was analyzing the passages more so than usual. I feel like I got a lot more out of it than just going through the motions like I usually do. Mad props to R.C. Sproul.

2 comments:

Amy Grace said...

Wow that certainly convicts me! I definitely have been reading more books "about" God, then the Bible, itself! That's something I need to fix. :::goes and gets Bible:::

Amy Grace said...

Pardon my grammar.. I meant "than"